Upon arrival at reception of the Berkshire Record Office (BRO), we will ask you to do a number of things.
We recognise that visiting the socially-distanced Record Office will place many more restrictions on visitors than usual. We are sorry about this and hope you will be patient with us at this time.
We will keep our covid-secure procedures under review, looking to minimise their impact while also maintaining safety.
There are some pictures at the bottom of this page showing what it now looks like inside the BRO if you'd like to take a look.
Here is an outline of what to expect when you arrive:
- Please arrive at the time you have booked for your session.
- Please ring the doorbell. A member of staff will check that you have booked, and that you do not have symptoms of coronavirus or should be self-isolating. If you have not booked, have symptoms or should be at home then you will not be allowed entry.
- Please put on your face-covering. You will then be asked to wait at one of the queuing places in reception and called to access the lockers and toilet area one person at a time.
- You will be asked to wash your hands.
- You will be asked to use an allocated locker to put your belongings in.
- You will be asked to confirm your contact details as part of the NHS Test and Trace system. Details will be deleted after 21 days. You can find out more information on the system here.
- We will not be issuing or dealing with the Archives Card at the moment.
- You will be given a short verbal briefing before you enter the searchroom. This will explain which areas of the room you can access and how you should leave your documents after you have finished with them.
- You will be asked to maintain social distancing and use the floor markings as a guide. If you do not adhere to distancing requests, then you will be asked to leave.
- You will be asked to sit at a specific desk and consult your items. Please leave them on your desk when you are finished with them.
- You will not be able to use self-service items such as microform, catalogues or the library.
- You will not be able to order photocopies or printouts for collection on the day. Instead, you are welcome to use self-service photography for instant copies.
- If you would like to have photocopies or printouts, you will need to complete a form to leave behind. This will be quarantined together with the items you would like copied. Copies will then be posted to you.
- There will be no food and drink for sale and no access to the public water dispenser.
- Only card payments are possible, with preference for contactless.
- The reception space will not be usable for breaks. An outside seating area will be made available instead. The nearest shop is about 3 minutes’ walk and the nearest indoor places to eat are in the town centre, which is about 10 minutes away. Please do bear this in mind if you plan to stay all day.
- The public toilets will be open, but restricted to one person at a time. Please queue at reception if required and staff will let you know when the toilets are free.
Please allow time before your session ends to pay for anything, use the facilities and collect your things. This has to be done one person at a time which takes time to complete.
Leaving before the session completely ends, will enable us to close promptly at 12:30 and 16:00 in order to quarantine documents and clean everything down ready for the next session.If you, or anyone at home, has COVID-19 coronavirus symptoms or is self-isolating, please do not visit.