Grant of Arms
Grant of property in High Street, Reading
Date: 1365 | Reference: R/AT1/52
This deed, relating to a house and garden between High Street and the Kennet formerly owned by Stephen Cole, has the earliest known representation of the Borough coat of arms. This appears on the middle seal attached to it. At this date the arms represent those of the Merchant Gild. In contrast to the later arms, the seal shows five male heads as opposed to five female ones.